Jesus Feeds the Five Thousand
13 When Jesus heard what had happened, he withdrew by boat privately to a solitary place. Hearing of this, the crowds followed him on foot from the towns. 14 When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them and healed their sick.
15 As evening approached, the disciples came to him and said, “This is a remote place, and it’s already getting late. Send the crowds away, so they can go to the villages and buy themselves some food.”
16 Jesus replied, “They do not need to go away. You give them something to eat.”
17 “We have here only five loaves of bread and two fish,” they answered.
18 “Bring them here to me,” he said. 19 And he directed the people to sit down on the grass. Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then he gave them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the people. 20 They all ate and were satisfied, and the disciples picked up twelve basketfuls of broken pieces that were left over. 21 The number of those who ate was about five thousand men, besides women and children.
Let's look at a couple of these verses together:
At 14: When he went ashore he saw a large crowd of people and had compassion on them and healed their sick
· Jesus cares about your situation. No matter how big, no matter how small, He sees you and He cares.
At 16: The disciples wanted to send the people away but Jesus responded “You Feed Them”.
· Whether the disciples were concerned about the people or just wanted Jesus to themselves what happened next was an amazing teaching moment. When Jesus responded “You Feed Them” he was preparing them for ministry after he had gone. He taught them to think like a shepherd instead of a sheep.
What is he preparing you for today? What is he refining in you for that time when he looks at you and says "you feed them".
At 17: The disciples were concerned about their “not enough”
· Not enough can become more than enough when you:
· Bring what little you have to Jesus.
· Believe that Jesus can (and will) move in your situation and
bring forth abundance out of your lack
· Believe that Jesus can bring the supernatural into your natural circumstances.
Who is he telling you to feed today? What miracles does he want to do through you? Who is he trying to reach? Let's change our mindsets from one of sheep to one of shepherds. Let's be the church.
I love you and pray you are well during these difficult days.